Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cores du microbes

I am on a GeoMapApp mission to find microbial traces in the sea floor sediment cores available in this database. If not in this database, then I will try looking in other databases as well.
Initially I will just be looking for traces to see if there is even any data available in this area.
If I find anything, I would like to figure out their ages which hopefully the cores will contain. Then try to infer depositional environments using other data available in the cores and finally have a comparison to the Ordovician microbialites that I am researching on.
If such data is quite recent, then I can use it as an analogue for comparison.

So far data that I have found in some of the cores contain mottling but there is no indication of bacterial or algae activity; so far no evidence of microbial laminations either. I will continue to explore the database and if nothing turns up I will have to look for another project.

So if anyone has any food for thought about this project, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. It's so frustrating when you know the data that you want, but you can't find a way to access it.

    ReplyDelete